We maintain a level of high energy and a non-intimidating atmosphere where hard work reaps the rewards and motivation is our primary objective. We offer you our direct attention and provide you with all the knowledge to ensure your progress every step of the way, whether you want to lose weight, gain strength, increase flexibility, strengthen cardiovascular health, or all of the above!
Your membership includes a tour of the facility, an orientation to the equipment and a fit check. With our Fit-check you can have your body composition, measurements, strength and flexibility tested.
We are famous for the quality of our Fitness Classes and Fitness Instructors, be sure to check out our 40+ Classes, Enjoy and have FUN!
Your membership includes the added benefits of aquatic fitness.
An aquatic fitness program is an exercise program performed in the water that is designed to strengthen the cardiorespiratory system, strengthen and tone the muscles, improve balance, coordination and flexibility, and enhance physical and emotional well-being. These programs are designed to serve healthy populations, as well as special populations such as the elderly, those experiencing medical and physical challenges, and post-rehabilitation clients who need to regain their strength to get back to normal activities.
Aquatic Fitness is an exercise that can accommodate all ages, fitness levels, and abilities through a variety of options. Aquatic Fitness is the perfect way to condition the body, stimulate the mind, wash away stress and rejuvenate the spirit. The pool is an excellent cross-training gym for everyone, an effective means for rehabilitation, and a refreshing change to sweating on land. Research has shown that there are various health benefits to regular water exercise. Here are some critical points about Aquatic Fitness:
- You do not have to be a swimmer to participate.
- Participants experience the feeling of weightlessness.
- Provides natural massage and muscular tension release.
- Buoyancy lessens the likelihood of impact injuries.
- Water provides a natural resistance for improved balance, strength and tone of the musculature.
- Movements are naturally balanced in the water.
- Muscles that are tight on land are stretched with buoyancy in water, whereas the lax muscles receive strengthening with water’s resistance.
- Participants may push and pull the water and thereby adjust the intensity of their workout to suit their individual needs. Heat build-up is limited.
- Water is one of the best methods of removing heat.
- It is an ideal activity for hot, humid weather or climates (compared to land exercise)
- Great for physically limited participants who would otherwise not exercise, i.e. older adult, injured, overweight, frail and medical conditions.
- Improves all aspects of health similar to land training or physical activity.
- Great stress reliever. Great social activity.
- Regardless of the health status or degree of disability of the individual, an appropriate aquatic program may be found.
Research supports that physically fit people are eight times less likely to die of cardiovascular disease than unfit persons. Regular exercise is as effective as medication in reducing blood pressure. Regular exercise promotes body fat loss while preserving muscle mass. Regular exercise helps to reduce systemic arterial blood pressure. Regular exercise helps raise the percentage of beneficial HDL cholesterol (good) and lowers LDL cholesterol (bad) and the TC/HDL-C ration (total cholesterol divided by HSL cholesterol) to a low-risk profile. Regular exercise delays bone loss and promotes formation in women at most risk for osteoporosis. Regular exercise can increase sleep length and depth.
Aquatic fitness programs require no specialized equipment; however, the addition of all types of equipment can amplify the properties of water and provide unlimited training possibilities.
40+ Group Fitness Classes a Week
The most amazing and innovative Fitness Classes happen each week in our Multi-Purpose Room. From Circuit Training and TRX to Boot Camps and Step, Aquacise, Spin and Fit Swims. Get the most out of your membership by checking out one of over 40 free-to-member drop in classes offered each week. Older adults and those looking for ease into it programs will enjoy many classes like Arthritics, Aqua Flow and Aquacise. Join our amazing Instructors for activity that is both exercise and entertainment!
Friendly & Supportive Service
Equipment is one thing. But being given the support and encouragement to continue is another. The Canada Games Aquatic Centre has been serving the community for over 30 years. All fitness staff are CPR certified, as well as certified to teach each class that they lead. Our staff have a deep commitment to the community and put your health and wellness first.
For more information about membership at the Canada Games Aquatic Centre, please contact us today.