Part-time Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
A cornerstone of Greater Saint John, the Canada Games Aquatic Centre is a community centre for wellness and active living. With aquatic amenities, a fitness centre, massage therapy, and other offerings onsite, there is something for all ages and abilities to enjoy. Featuring the only 50-metre pool in the province, the facility hosts public swims and other gatherings for the community, along with sport tourism events that contribute to the local economy. The organization is also the largest provider of swimming lessons in New Brunswick.
Under the direction of the Aquatics Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for teaching a specific swimming program to school-aged children on Tuesday and Thursday mornings in the fall (2022). The incumbent will also be eligible for available daytime lifeguarding shifts.
- Teaching a specific swimming program that involves educating school-aged children about water safety and working on completing the following skills: 50-metre swim, one minute of treading water, and recovery from disoriented entry.
- Actively supporting facility core values of hospitality, cleanliness, and safety.
- Treating all patrons with courtesy and respect; be friendly and polite.
- Supervising of all on-deck activities; educating public in safety practices; enforcing pool rules and explaining their purpose; maintaining records (e.g., first aid, head counts, guards on duty).
- Maintaining the highest levels of training and qualifications, as stated in job requirements.
- Must be able to handle all emergency situations and know emergency procedures of the Canada Games Aquatic Centre.
- In the position of Lifeguard, must participate in regular guarding rotations as needed (not to leave the building without permission).
- Must accept direction from Duty Managers and Supervisors.
- Current National Lifeguard (pool) Certificate
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C/AED
- Strong oral communication skills
- Strong leadership abilities
- Good judgment
- Ability to plan
- Team player
- Confidentiality and discretion
- An understanding of our mission and operations
- Preference may be given to candidates with Swim and/or Lifesaving Instructor certification
- Preference may be given to Bilingual (English/French) candidates
Please clearly indicate on your resume which, if any, of these qualifications you possess.
- $14.51-$15.02 per hour
- A possible individual membership to the Canada Games Aquatic Centre, should the criteria of our employee membership policy be met.
Condition of Employment
- Prior to hiring, you must provide the results of a current Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector check. You will also be required to provide these checks periodically while employed with us.
- Must maintain certifications
- Additional paperwork and policy review will be required to be completed by the incumbent, which are specific requirements for the swimming program that will be taught in the fall.
To apply for this position, please email your resume by Sunday, August 28, 2022, to Ben Tremblay: firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly indicate you are applying for the position of ‘Daytime Part-time Lifeguard/Swim Instructor’.
This is a unionised position.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.