Part-time Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
A cornerstone of the Fundy region, the Canada Games Aquatic Centre (CGAC) is a community centre for wellness and active living. With aquatic amenities, a fitness facility, massage therapy, and other offerings onsite, there is something for all ages and abilities to enjoy. Featuring the only 50-metre pool in the province, the facility hosts public swims and other gatherings for the communities of the Fundy Region, along with sport tourism events that contribute to the local economy. The organization is also one of the largest providers of swimming lessons in New Brunswick.
Position: Part-time Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
Under the direction of the Aquatics Manager and Duty Managers, the lifeguard ensures the safety of patrons who use our pools, hot tubs, dry sauna, steam room, diving boards, slides, locker rooms, and pool deck. Lifeguards and swim instructors are required to keep track of their qualifications and ensure they remain up to date.
Lifeguards are responsible for ensuring the safety of all the users of the facility by actively supervising swimmers. Lifeguards are also responsible for providing first aid when necessary as well as conduct any tasks that the head lifeguards or managers request to ensure the pool deck is safe and prepared for any users of the facility.
Swim Instructors are responsible for preparing lesson plans, teaching lessons, providing feedback, and preparing report cards.
Summary of Duties
- Actively supporting facility core values of hospitality, cleanliness, and safety.
- Treating all patrons with courtesy and respect; be friendly and polite.
- Supervising of all on-deck activities; educating public in safety practices; enforcing pool rules and explaining their purpose; maintaining records (e.g., first aid, head counts, guards on duty).
- Maintaining the highest levels of training and qualifications, as stated in job requirements.
- Staff is expected to complete monthly skills checks and attend staff trainings to help maintain lifeguarding abilities.
- Must be able to handle all emergency situations and know emergency procedures of the Canada Games Aquatic Centre.
- In the position of Lifeguard, must participate in regular guarding rotations as needed (not to leave the building without permission).
- In the position of Swim Instructor, must teach outlined swimming lesson program, with attentiveness, engagement with participants, and communication with parents/guardians.
- Must accept direction from Duty Managers and supervisors.
- Current National Lifeguard (pool) Certificate
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C/AED
- Swim For Life Swim Instructor Certification
- Strong oral communication skills
- Strong leadership abilities
- Good judgment
- Ability to plan
- Team player
- Confidentiality and discretion
- An understanding of our mission and operations
Please clearly indicate on your resume which, if any, of these qualifications you possess:
- Preference may be given to candidates with Swim and/or Lifesaving Instructor certification
- Preference may be given to Bilingual (English/French) candidates
- An individual membership to the Canada Games Aquatic Centre provided sufficient hours are worked
Conditions of Employment
- Current acceptable Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks
- Must maintain certifications
- Additional paperwork and policy review will be required to be completed by the incumbent should they be assigned to teach swimming programs to students from Anglophone School District - South.
How to Apply:
Please apply electronically by submitting your resume to Ben Tremblay: firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly indicating you are applying for the Part-time Lifeguard / Swim Instructor position. You may also drop off your resume at the front desk of the Canada Games Aquatic Centre during operational hours.
This is a unionized position.
The Canada Games Aquatic Centre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.